Wednesday, April 16, 2008

And on the second day, I created coffee

Shortly after moving to my new permanant home of Texas, I was making a pot of coffee with a co-worker one day. I asked him how strong I should make it. He said that if you throw a horseshoe in it and it floats; well, its done. I was so relieved that someone else out there liked it the same way. I love the colorful way all Texans talk. As you can guess, growing up in North Dakota provided me with this accent that can turn any guy off immediately (unless his name is Sven Jorgensen). I say stupid things like 'yoo gise' and 'ya noo' (which means respectively: 'you guys' and 'you know'). I seriously did not even think that I had an accent until I moved out of N.D. Gradually, I added "y'all" and "fixin' ta" to my vocabulary...and tryin' real hard to drop out those bad uns; but all that ever comes out is "Doon't chY'all noo". It is starting to tame down alot now that I have been here for almost 10 years. I figure that by the time I am 92 I will have the Texan accent nailed down. I will be trying hard until then to just practice, and add idioms every now and again. Wish me luck...Now, I am off to make my morning coffee. How much sugar do I add? Well, enough to bend the fork; of course.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Hey Monica. I love your blog already. The words are so colorful and Texanee............LOL