Saturday, April 19, 2008

4 bedroom, 3 bathroom tent wanted.

I love getting scraps. Friends give me scraps. Perfect strangers give me scraps...(isn't it weird how there are never perfect friends and many perfect strangers? Thank God!) Heck, sometimes I even buy scraps. However it is that I acquire them, I always get asked "what do you do with all of these little things?" (I use scraps as small as 1 1/2 inch square). Some people think that I am plain crazy for using such small pieces. Well, let me tell you I am not PLAIN crazy; I am extravagantly crazy. I tell them that I was crazy to begin with, so using them won't make me go there. MRT (mindless repetitive task) is a wonderful thing for those of us who have put in a full day of cleaning smashed bananas off walls, changing interesting diapers, and pulling beans out of noses. Quilting is a MRT, and a damn good one. My problem is that I love the variety of what is out there in fabric world. Think of it in comparison to an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord. You love the ham and the potatoes and oh, the chicken and gotta try the marshmallow-jello thing, sticky bun, and why don't these plates have two levels anyway...but really, you can't eat a pound of each; which is what I mean with scraps. I can enjoy so many fabrics, just small bits at a time. Otherwise, if I bought a yard of every fabric that I loved, my husband and I would be living in a tent down by the railroad tracks with a big out-building as a sewing room. (you didn't think I would give that up, did you?) So, if there is anyone out there who can't stand to look at those little pieces, throw them in a bag and donate them to: Monica's Home for the Textile Insane. (it just may be a tax write-off)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I can attest to the fact that Monica is CRAZY. But, she does do wonderful things with these scraps.

I have a box already packed up to send to Austin -- had it packed last week, but haven't made it to the P.O. yet. Hope to do it this week.