Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Stinkin' Block

Well, I got a block done. So normally, I wouldn't make a blog post after doing one stinking block...(who am I kidding...if I get a 9 patch done these days it's a flippin' miracle!) but this one got done without having to rip seams once. No, no one helped me! This block is something to blog about, because I am NEVER doing it again. It wasn't that it was that difficult, it is just that, if you have small children...

Today, I tried to give the one-year old a nap. Any time that she is sleeping, my time is spent cleaning and maybe I can get 15 minutes or so of stitching in, if I am lucky. Unfortunately, she has a 4-year-old brother who cannot keep quiet during that time so I struggle with sanity on a regular basis. Not 30 minutes into her nap I hear her crying, so I go to investigate and find the bigger kid, in the crib, dumping milk on the shorter kid's head, and all over the bedding; bedding that I just took fresh out of the dryer. (...and have you ever changed sheets on a mattress inside it's own miniature prison?) No nap today.

Throw shorter kid in the tub. Try to prevent her from drinking her own God-awful bathwater, while explaining to the bigger kid that he cannot go in the backyard to pee since I am blocking the toilet. After this is done, I go to change clothes since they are now covered in God-awful bath water and sweat. While changing clothes, two small children find a brand new Kleenex box and pull each and every one out, shred, then disperse throughout the entire house. Some of those pieces of Kleenex were dry, so I was lucky.

The television was not working because the shorter kid pushed a button that sent the whole entertainment system to the black hole of death, so no Sesame Street or The Cat in the Hat to distract them while I pulled wet Kleenex off of the walls.

Out of chaotic exhaustion, I decide to throw the kids in the truck so that I can run a quick errand. This errand was supposed to be simple. Run to pick up a gift that I already had picked out, then return home. On the way, I go through the drive through and buy the bigger kid a kid meal with a chocolate milk that he is not to open until we get home. The next stop was to a car wash to spray off the interior door, panels, and floor to clean up the ''unopened'' bottle of chocolate milk. I cannot wait until August to find out what that is going to smell like.

So I may have only completed one block, but the block is 6 1/2 inches square....and it has 229 pieces.

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am wetting my pants here reading about your very...eerr... interesting day...

Jackie's Stitches said...

Wow! What a day. Hopefully today will be better. I'm not sure if a block with 229 pieces saved your sanity or contributed to the day you had.

Tina Craig said...

Holy cow! That sounds like a normal day in a home with two kids under 5. I remember those days, but have tried to block them out! I thought the block was impressive when I was thinking it was 12", but 6"? That's incredible! You should frame it.

Kathy said...

OMG! I needed to read this today!!!!! I'm laughing my big ole butt off!

But really Monica, a 6-inc block with 229 pieces????????????????? Yep, you've confirmed it -- YOU ARE CRAZY! -- but that's okay cause 'birds of a feather flock together'! LOL

Unknown said...

children are so wonderful and you wonder if you will live to see a "normal"day. Mine poured Dawn in my Pepsi and waited for me to chug it. they are still living but I had a moment....

NANNASWORKROOM said...

Wow is that one block??????

Anonymous said...

Woo Wee...that's amazing!
What are you gonna do with it??