Friday, January 16, 2009

Staring at a Not-So-Blank Wall



This is one of the corners of my sewing room. I finally got one of my flannel walls up this week. I will eventually have 3 in all. Two of these smaller ones and one big one. It really helps to have one, even if it a small one. I still rely heavily on my EQ6 for auditioning ideas, but I really like this small area for throwing a block or two up. The diamonds that you see on my wall are from the 1940's. They used to be in a Texas Lone Star quilt by an unknown maker. When I acquired it, I laid it flat, or at least tried to. It had more ruffles than a square dancer's skirt. I took every piece apart, picked, ironed, cut and sewed the diamonds back together by hand. I am about half done now with these. Since I am not working on these as a deadline project, they have been getting done in spare time over the last few years. I am planning on applying the diamonds to a muslin background in the pattern that is shown here so that I can do some hand quilting in the star-shaped pieces.

I love the Picasso picture in my room too. It has a quote by him on it that says "My mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you will be a general. If you become a monk, you'll end up as the Pope.' Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso." What a wonderful way of saying that you can be great just doing what you do best.

I also tried to edit out my big screen T.V. so that I would not make any of you jealous, but I would have ended up cutting out part of the picture. Someday I may even upgrade to something frighteningly huge...like a 19 inch.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh you and your little picking out threads and sewing back together. WONDERFUL! I love that picture too, and yes I AM JEALOUS of your big-screen TV!!!!!

Rhonda said...

Your sewing room looks so nice and clean with no clutter.....I'm jealous.......LOL

Doris said...

Hilarious! I only have one TV, and it is a 19" Tv in my living room, and everytime I visit one of my friends I'm blown away by there TVs!

I am LOVING that diamond quilt on yourd design wall...I may have to "borrow" that idea!