Friday, January 9, 2009

Carol is worth every stitch

I have posted before about this quilt top. It was initally supposed to be a round robin quilt top, but the sweet gal who got this top back at the end of the rounds got the short end of the deal. Her top only had the center, the sawtooth border and the applique border, with the 'plaid' border being incomplete. Carol is an excellent piecer. When I look at her work, I just can't believe that it was made by human hands and not a robotic machine. The back of her work could just as well be the front because of how perfect her seams lay. They are trimmed of any flyaway threads and the dang blocks actually measure a square shape. I love knowing people like her because it makes me strive to make my blocks better. With all of this being said, it was sad to see her quilt had been returned to her in the state that it was in; especially after she had put so much work into everyone else's borders. When I saw her at my last retreat, I wanted to just cry when I saw it. I was disgusted with it. I asked Carol if she would let me fix the plaid border and add an extra one. I told her that I was not sure how long it would take me but I would work on it as quickly as possible. She was happy to let me take it. The only way I could fix the plaid border was to take each little piece of fabric apart, pick off all of the little threads, press them, cut them to the correct size, resew them together, then reassemble the blocks. I designed the final border to compliment the prior borders and center, keeping in mind that she may want to add extra borders past mine. I hope that all of her patience with me is worth it in the end, because it was definately worth it for me to do it, knowing that she will finally get the quilt that she very much deserves.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Great work, as usual. Have fun at the retreat!

Ape said...

yeah, my mom rocks! ;)

Susan said...

You did a fabulous job! You should be very proud.

Kathy said...

Absolutely Beautiful! I know Carol will be so happy!

It's about time you came back around and started blogging.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Oh my Button Girl--you are one that my mother would call a "JEWEL". A girl that thinks many more times of others than of herself. Thank you for sharing yourself with Carol and with us. I have not visited you in awhile and I am sorry. You are a breath of fresh air to me. Now I can breathe better for awhile. See you soon, I hope.