Sunday, January 22, 2017

Tomato Cheese Casserole



I found an old clipping of a recipe tucked in a book, so you know...what the heck.  I tried it.  Tomatoes are kind of the wrong season right now, as it is January, but I like tomatoes. Who doesn't? I will tell you who.  Both of my kids.  Of course, I didn't know this until after I made a huge 2 quart casserole dish of the stuff.  My husband is on the Paleo diet, so guess who gets to eat it all?  I don't even have a pet to help me out here.

It has bacon in it, and a cheesy roux like sauce, that makes it impossible to stay away from though.  I will have to put the leftovers in the fridge ASAP, so I don't down it like a tub of ice cream.  Let me know what you think.

Tomato Cheese Casserole

1 7oz pkg. elbow macaroni
6 slices bacon
3 Tbsp. butter (I omitted this for bacon drippings)
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt (I didn't use any)
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
paprika

Cook macaroni until tender in two quarts of boiling salted water.  Pan fry bacon until crisp.  Drain, cool, and crumble.  Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, and blend in flour, salt, and pepper.  Add milk stirring constantly and cook until sauce is smooth and thickened.  Remove from heat.  Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and stir until cheese is melted.  Add bacon.  Pour half of macaroni in buttered two quart baking dish.  Arrange half of the tomato slices on macaroni and cover with half of sauce.  Repeat.  Top with remaining cheese.  Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.  Garnish with tomato slices sprinkled with shredded cheese.  Bake in moderate oven, 350 degrees until hot and browned, about 30 minutes.  Makes eight servings.

note:  I didn't use the butter.  I figured, the bacon drippings were the perfect thing for the sauce instead.


No comments: