Monday, March 4, 2013

I Guess Goals are a Good Thing?

 
This quilt now has binding. I can cross that off my goal list from Monday, and I didn't even think that I was going to be able to get to it. I am so relieved to be getting a few things done in my sewing room. My entire goal list is complete for the week, and I even sewed a few random blocks for other projects.



 
This is a terrible picture of a cute quilt for a friend that had a baby boy very recently. The pattern is a very simple one of my own that only requires 3 yards total to assemble the top: a light, medium, and a dark print.  Pattern finishes at 50 inches square. To finish the top, all I had to do was locate the border fabric in my stash, and sew them on. Easy, right?  Can anyone tell me why I drag my feet on the easy stuff like bindings, backings, and borders; but jump in head first, with unbelievable excitement and tenacity into things like the Circle Game?




 
I purchased this pattern at QuiltCon. I totally love Jen Kingwell's style of pattern design and instructions.  Templates are clearly drawn, and easy to follow. My hopes are to begin this quilt as part of a quilt along group on flickr the beginning of April.  I still have to decide on colors, which usually takes a little thought for me. 
 
She has another pattern that is amazing called Green Tea and Sweet Beans:
 
The actual quilt is so much more stunning in person. I can't express to you how yummy it is.  Lots of beautiful fabrics on a perfectly chosen background of text fabric goodness.  Made my teeth hurt with sweetness. I will be buying this one next and Steam Punk. I truly feel as if she is designing these pattern just for me...(you are so, so sweet to do that, Jen! :)...) Okay, she doesn't know me from any other (crazy, unbalanced) quilter. She really intended others to make the quilts too, so go ahead and see her stuff HERE!  If you want to confuse the crap out of her, tell her that Button Counter sent you. 
 
 
All righty then.  Now for my goal list for this week!  I will be finishing Beca's gift. (and mailing!) I need to begin cutting pieces for an Amy Butler Weekender bag that I am starting (more on that later...enough craziness for one blog post), I will prepare the back for the baby quilt, and I need to make a backing for my toile quilt.
 
Random fact for the day: In every episode of Seinfeld, there is a Superman somewhere.


6 comments:

Tina Craig said...

Goals are good, but deadlines are better. For me, at least.

Rhonda said...

Monica, you're going to get a kick out of this one....when I first read the title of your post, for some crazy reason I thought it read "I Guess GOATS are a Good Thing" so as I read through the post, I kept wondering when is she going to talk about the goats....I know, crazy.....and no, I hadn't had anything extra in my cup of tea this morning. Just call me "wacky".....

suemac said...

Love the steam punk pattern. Looks a little on the difficult side though.

suemac said...

How are you doing. I did break down and get Broken Glass. Can't wait to get started.

Leila said...

Um. If I remember, you bought green tea at the LAST quiltcon. . .

Rhonda said...

Hi Monica...it's me Rhonda. I didn't know another way to get in touch with you. I've got "yards of fabric" that I'd love to give away. I'm not sewing so much now cause life has gotten in the way but in a good way. If you are interested email me so we can talk.
ravelly1lady@gmail.com